LAST NIGHT IN EDEN [Episode 5] FINALE


"and if I do not step down? " 'Tekena asked his political opponent and ex business partner, Chief Demage.

" you and I know what your dirty secrets would smell like when they hit the noses of the people. "

"You aren't no saint yourself Demage" Tekena spat out.

"The difference between us is this,  Demage began as he sat his glass of brandy on the table and folded his arms across his chest. I know how to clean up my mess when I'm done and I try really hard to keep fewer enemies. Not that I do not have though,  ' he shrugged ' I just make sure I silence them for good and neatly but you, you my dear friend are one lousy pig."

"You might want to watch what you say..."

"In your office? 'Demage interrupted, amused',  you won't be here for long dear friend. Oh believe me, 'he rose' you won't. Half way to the door he added 'say me well to Rita, God knows that woman never deserved a maggot like you' he left, slamming the door in his wake leaving Tekena to bite his thumb, the way he usually did when a morbid thought was on his mind.

Doris exited the shopping mall hands full and disguised in her dark shades.

"Anayo!"

Doris knew she was screwed. She shouldn't be in Nigeria; not without her son. She recognized the voice, it was Nkiru  her immediate elder sister. She really was screwed.

"Sister biko, don't let sister Ada know I'm in Nigeria" Doris pleaded in Nkiru's bedroom.

"You know how my mouth is, I'll definitely talk. What right thinking woman would leave her two year old son at the mercy of a friend in another continent and come down to Nigeria to wear tight tight skirts and black goggles ehn?!"

"Sister, its more complicated than..."

"Mechi onu gi a osiso! , stupid."

Nkiru was reaching for her mobile phone. Doris wanted to smash her head with an iron.

" Sister I came to get my certificate."

" Which certificate? Didn't that man enroll you in a school over there? I also went to school, I'm not an illiterate. At least I know you can't finish from school A and expect your certificate to come from school B." Nkiru scolded as she lowered the phone.

"I'll be through in a year, 'Doris prayed she didn't sound dumb' so I'd want to come practice here in Nigeria and..."

"How is Jordan?"

'Thank God for common sense' " he's okay", Doris replied.

"Have you seen your husband?" Nkiru asked as she began to fold her weaves into her hair net.

"we agreed to meet this evening. "

"Nsogbu adiro, I prepared yam porridge before..."

"Mba sister, I'm not hungry. I bought some..."
Who's asking you to eat? My friend go and dish out food for me let me eat" Nkiru yelled from the bathroom.

Doris left for the kitchen laughing lightly, Nkiru was a case. Unmarried and still a virgin at thirty-three she was more of a tight ass than any of her sisters.

Tekena was having dinner with his family. It was Sunday and Rita really had outdone herself this time.

"Remind me to get you a cook book for your next birthday", Tekena said with his mouth full.

"The... food isn't tasty?" Rita asked, her eyes suddenly tense.

"it is. I just want more of this, that's what I meant."

Rita finally broke into a broad smile,  dished out some more coleslaw for her daughter even though the one on the child's plate had been barely touched. After last weekend, she was prepared to cover her tracks and keep her marriage even if it meant bending over backwards to do that.
How could she be so stupid? She cursed the day she became friends with Diane; that woman was vile. She a wife, a mother, a philanthropist in a strip club, drunk and in bed with a stripper. Her cutlery fell from her hands with a clatter startling everyone at table.

"Mum were you dozing?" Godson, her twelve year old son asked.

"No dear, mummy's hand is a bit slippery."

Tekena watched Rita for a while before going back to his food. The woman had been as jumpy as a rat for a week now. Rita was the least of his problems. He had other pressing matters but first, he had to visit somewhere for a good time just to clear his head.

Tekena felt insulted. He ordered his boys to fetch a briefcase and snapped his fingers at the Lady as he opened the case filled with foreign currency.

Doris was amused and angry all at once. Here was her husband throwing away Government money all for a night with her; if only he knew. She proceeded towards Tekena and sat astride him, lifting his hands to her full breasts.

Tekena recognized this move. This was what got him hooked on Doris. He had to leave, not for home but for the U.S. He missed that crazy girl but Doris would have to wait, this mystery girl on him was driving him nuts already.

Doris opened her eyes sleepily. She could hear Tekena's heavy breathing beside her in the dark. She had to leave.  Just as she reached the door, Tekena's mobile phone began to ring. He didn't stir, she slipped out of the room and shut the door noiselessly behind her.

Rita was seated amongst other women in a conference room in attendance of the governor's wife. She had written a proposal for a project and had come prepared with a visual chart on a disc and would be called upon any minute.

"...Mrs Rita Diepreye"!
an applause began as she reached the podium and awaited the studio to play her stuff only for the moans of two naked people to meet her ears over the speakers. She turned around to stare at the projector monitor. She recognized herself, her naked self with the stripper. This was live TV. The world began to spin, Rita fainted.

"You have to complete what you started" Demage threatened Doris from the confines of his tinted SUV.

"Haven't you done enough damage to Tekena already?"

" I've only just begun"

" I'm carrying his child. I can't do this anymore"

" how could you be so stupid?"

"He's still my husband"

" One who got you pregnant the first time and abandoned you in the US while he nurtured his family over here in Nigeria? or did he pay your father off by building that edifice in your hometown?"

" Don't insult me Mr Demage"

"You think because you slept with a Diepreye, had a child or two for him you can boldly talk back at me, right? Listen up, ' Demage's eyes were filled with resentment, you'll always be from the gutters. A stripper,  a filthy one at that. That's who you are. Now get out of my vehicle before I toss you out myself. "

Doris got out slamming the door in Demage's face.

"Come in",  Papa said from inside his study.
Doris entered as Papa took off his reading glasses.

" Tekena's wife and friend are after my life. They...' she was choking on her tears' Rita sent someone to kidnap Jordan from school and..."

"Sit down" Papa said quietly. Doris pulled out a chair and dabbed her eyes with her Kleenex. She could hear the faint sound of the "odo" from the backyard as aunty Ify didn't believe in pounded yam flour, she loved to pound. Jordan and Pewa's excited voices as they chased the big cocks and hens at the backyard were the only reminder of a peaceful past Doris once had.

"What happened to your ear?" Papa asked painfully. He hated seeing his daughter this way.
Doris thought she had hidden it well enough. Behind the expensive weave, Doris' right ear was gone. Demage had had some boys take it off as a warning when she was stalling to get rid of Tekena with the poison he gave to her.

"Its gone mpa"

"Let that man come and have his house. I..."

"Tekena was shot this morning mpa,' Doris said through glazing eyes' they are coming for Jordan. "

"Why? What does my grandson have to do..."

"That's what the note said. JORDAN IS NEXT."

Link to [ previous episode]

Thanks for following up!  God bless... 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.